If you are an avid reader of this blog, and judging by my new-found ability to read my Google Analytics you are NOT, then you kind of expect me to have a DAILY blog piece, or at least certainly a few quality blog pieces of interesting material every week. But, it’s been since last Friday that I have posted anything of interest. You see I am in a funk. BUT, I am making an effort to make sure that I am exercising the brain today.
The Brain as a Muscle
The brain, they say, is a muscle. You need to keep it working as often as possible. I read a lot, try to write as much as possible and do the daily crossword and Sudoku puzzles every day to make sure that I am stimulating the neurons and synapses as much as possible. It’s said that we use 10% to 17% of our brains. I am using 75% of that on a daily basis, and saving the other 25% to make that final “kick” when it’s needed. Therefore, I am using very little of my brain lately. Unfortunately, I think that this is making me stupider (see?) and that makes me sad.
What To Do?
The problem with a rut, especially a creative one, is that when you are in a rut, the very things that are a cure for getting OUT of the rut also make you feel like you’re just in a different rut.
“Take a walk” some will say. Sure, going for a walk is good for the legs and the cardio if you walk fast enough, but that takes me a way from my computer and my writing. Often, I’ll come back and the last thing that I want to do is get right back into writing.
“Turn off your brain, watch some TV.” I’m really good at this. I could watch The Weather Channel for hours at a time, especially during hurricane season and winter blizzards. There is something distracting about watch natural disaster unfold, but it often leads me to watching other channels and then before I know it my brain is totally turned off and reruns of Family Guy have been found, distracting me further.
“Lunch/happy hour” is an oft suggested option. For those of us who are unemployed and without revenue streams dedicated to liquor and food, this is NOT an option. AND, lunch and happy hour in the South Bay RARELY ends up as only lunch and/or happy hour. It usually leads to a lost morning the next day…
So, I often find myself trading one rut for another. Luckily, I have a job interview today which should break up the monotony a bit, and maybe I’ll get started on that “Food Fight: Burger Edition” piece I promised with a trip to In-N-Out on the way home.
What do YOU do when you’re in a rut? Comment or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Twitter – @offtopictim.